Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Lies and damn lies

My primary opponent in my Assembly race, John Ozark is telling everyone that I was the only member of the Nevada legislature to vote no on AB434, the erstwhile millenium scholarship reform bill. In that narrow view he is right. Out of 63 legislators I was the only no vote. What he is not telling anyone is why. If he did, it would add votes to my side.

The second amendment placed onto AB434 in the last minute on June 4, 2006 said this:
5. The Board of Regents shall establish a procedure by which an applicant
9 for a millennium scholarship is required to execute an affidavit declaring his
10 eligibility for a millennium scholarship pursuant to the requirements of this
11 section. The affidavit must include a declaration that the applicant is a United
12 States citizen or has lawful immigration status or that the applicant has filed an
13 application to legalize his immigration status or will file an application to legalize
14 his immigration status as soon as he is eligible to do so.
15 Sec. 5. This act becomes effective on July 1, 2008.

Take a look at lines 13 an 14, that opens a huge loophole for illegal immigrants to get scholarship money, and you know how the government works. That means that illegals would eventually get preference over citizens. THAT is why I voted no. Apparantly I was the only one who read the amendment. It is also equally apparant that Mr. Ozark is willing to do whatever it takes to win this seat, including lie. I'm guessing ethics was not a course he passed in business school.

No comments: