Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Bankruptcy

I received a call from a Review Journal reporter today, asking about an old bankruptcy.

About 15 years ago I owned a sign shop in Northern California. That shop thrived for eleven years, but when the decade of the nineties came along so did an area wide depression and with it, double-digit unemployment. I spent the last months of my shop's existence designing and painting going out of business signs.

The depression was caused because the general industries of lumber and fishing supported the general economy. When those industries were cut back due to government policy, people lost jobs and the retailers dependant upon those shoppers lost customers. A descending cycle began. For my shop and many others it meant a chapter 7 bankruptcy. To this day that area is still experiencing high unemployment and very low business growth.

It took a long time and a lot of hard work but my credit score was rebuilt and is now listed as excellent. That experience is one I wish my family and I did not have to endure, but it was an important learning experience.

As an Assemblyman, I have been given an opportunity to effect certain changes. One of those changes would be to reenergize Nevada’s economy so people who live and work here will not have to experience what I did. That would be a change for the good.

No comments: